2017-18 Artist in Residence Application
Mighty Mud’s Inaugural Artist in Residence Application
Mighty Mud is a unique, urban ceramic centric studio, our almost 10,000 square foot facility includes: 22 artist studios with 40+ local artist renting space in those studios and an average of 500 students per year. Mighty Mud has a gallery, an exhibition space, and a weekly presence at the Saturday Farmers Market. We have 16 electric wheels, glaze lab, 3 indoor electric kilns, proposed Wood kiln, Gas reduction kiln, slab rollers, extruders, documentation (photo booth) area, coming soon spray booth, large outdoor area. Mighty Mud’s artist-in-residence program provides a unique opportunity for artists to work in a collaborative community of artists. Artists-in-Residence are encouraged to develop their existing bodies of work and explore new processes and concepts, and will be encourage to do monthly critiques with members. The residency allows artists to shape and structure their time to ﬁt their own goals. Residents spend some of their time working as a studio technician and retail operations. They also will have opportunities to teach their own classes. Special consideration will be granted to applicants who have operated and/or helped construct wood or soda kilns. Mighty Mud plans to build a wood kiln during the 2018/19 residency and the resident will be highly involved in the process.
About the AIR Program.
AIR’s are expected be at Mighty Mud for a minimum of 20 hours a week, which includes 10 hours per week of work for the studio. The 1st three months of residency will be considered a trial period, at any time during the trial 90 days the resident or Mighty Mud can terminate the arrangement. Some everyday responsibilities include: maintaining equipment and space, promoting classes, regular posting on social media, loading and unloading kilns, mixing glazes, studio wash downs, presenting workshops, art slide talks and organizing exhibitions. Please submit the following information to our on-line application no later than May 31, 2018 (no emailed or mailed submissions will be accepted after that.)
About the Artist-in-Residence Program
Do you have what it takes? Fill out the form below!
- 10-15 images of work completed in the last 2 years. A minimum of 5 individual pieces of artwork are required.
- Brief artist statement (one page maximum)
- Personal statement (one page maximum) explaining what you hope to accomplish personally and what you hope to bring to Mighty Mud studio during your residency. Additionally address what speciﬁc skills and qualities make you a good ﬁt for the Mighty Mud Residency Program.
- Names and contact info of 1-3 references
- Studio/work space in our classroom or artist group studios
- Monthly stipend – $200
- Clay and Glazes or glaze materials within reason
- Ability to join any classes we offer free of charge
- Teaching/assisting opportunities for extra pay
- Solo show at the end of the residency in house or at another local gallery
Residency DOES NOT include:
- Housing or food
- Travel costs