Creating a Coil Heart
Keep everyone in your home entertained with Mighty Mud’s Coil Heart Project! This is for all ages, kids and adults. Click the link below to purchase and reserve your box! Coil Heart pick up and drop off Hours: 11-3 Mon-Sat
We’re currently sold out of the Pinch Monster Box. Follow us on Facebook to see our next project we’ll have!
If you prefer to watch video instruction, follow along below. Otherwise, keep scrolling for attached pictures.
Follow along with Mighty Mud.
Follow below for instructions. You can download the printable instructions below.
- This is your box.
- In your box you have a knife, 1 ball of clay, a heavy duty toothpick, and bubble wrap.
- Take out your clay and tools
- Grab a piece of paper or cardboard and draw out your shape.
- We used a heart but you can do any shape you like.
- Get your clay and break off a small handful.
- Begin rolling out a long coil or snake, take your time, keep it smooth.
- When your coil is long enough and small enough around lay it on your shape lines.
- Anywhere you put your outside coil together make sure to scratch both surfaces and use a small amount of water to push them together and smooth out.
- Take similar amounts of clay and create more coils. Wrap the coil up like a cinnamon roll and fit them inside your shape.
- Slowly fill the interior of your shape with your swirls.
- Using small coils or different shape clay balls completely fill in the interior of your shape.
- Use your fingers to push all of your coils and shapes down and together.
- Make sure not to erase your lines, they are important to the look of your masterpiece.
- Use the paper or cardboard to flip your shape over, go slow and be careful.
- Take your wood knife and use the round end to smooth out the bottom and connect all of your clay together.
- Important! This will make sure it doesn’t fall apart.
- You can use a small amount of water to smooth out more with your finger or a paintbrush.
- No puddles!
- Flip it over and check it out, wrap it up and return your box.
- Make sure to pick out a great color.
Once you’ve finished your coil heart, carefully, with an adult, wrap it in the bubble wrap. Then put it back in the box that it came in, you will probably want to put some newspaper around it so it won’t move around.
Have an adult bring the box back to Mighty Mud, make sure, with a marker, they put a name and phone number so that we can let you know when they are ready.
We will fire your clay and glaze it in the kiln. Coil heart Pick up and drop off Hours: 11-3 Mon-Sat