Creating a Pinch Pot Monster
Keep your kids entertained with Mighty Mud’s Monster Project! Click the link below to purchase and reserve your box! Monster Box Pick up and drop off Hours: 11-3 Mon-Sat
If you prefer to watch video instruction, below are 2 great videos. Otherwise, keep scrolling for attached pictures.
Pinch Pot with Andrew Schafer
Pinch Pot with Elise Schmidt
Follow along with Mighty Mud.
Follow below for instructions. You can download the printable instructions below.
- This is your box.
- It comes with 2 balls of clay, ribbon tool, loop tool, wood modeling tool and bubble wrap.
- Insert thumb in the middle of one ball of clay leaving about ½” of clay on the bottom.
- Begin pinching the clay with thumb and fingers to form a pot.
- Make sure the clay is at least ¼” thick all around.
- Smooth and shape your mouth of your monster.
- As your mouth sets up (dries a little), make all of your additions for your monster like eyes, tongue, teeth and tail.
- Add all the details you want to them BEFORE attaching.
- Using the pointed side of your wood modeling tool, make scratch marks on the clay.
- You must scratch both the monster’s mouth and the additions.
- Put a small amount of water on both scratched surfaces and twist and push.
- Use the other end of the wood modeling tool to blend the clay to put together.
- If your monster’s mouth is becoming weighed down, add crumbled paper inside the mouth till the clay hardens.
- Different tools create texture as seen here by using pointed end of the modeling tool making scales, be creative, show us something new!
- Use the ribbon tool to cut out teeth for your monster.
- By this step you should start seeing your monster’s face.
- List Item
- Roll out a worm and use the pointed end of modeling tool to push through the clay to make eyelashes.
- Push sections with fingers to make a point. (If you want eyelashes that is)
- Your creation is complete. Hope you had fun!
Once you’ve finished your monster, carefully, with an adult, wrap it in the bubble wrap. Then put it back in the box that it came in, you will probably want to put some newspaper around it so it won’t move around.
Have an adult bring the box back to Mighty Mud, make sure, with a marker, they put a name and phone number so that we can let you know when they are ready.
We will fire your monster in the kiln to make it hard. You have to make a decision whether you want to paint your monster at home with acrylics, watercolors, spray paint; or you can pick one of the following colors and we will dip your monster in that color before getting it back to you.
Monster Box Pick up and drop off Hours: 11-3 Mon-Sat